Monday, April 21, 2008

The Hanks Question of the Week

I don't usually like to knit with cotton. It's heavy, it makes my wrists hurt, and it dries out my hands (making me go for the Zum Rub about every three rows). So I am pleasantly surprised by something I'm knitting with Vickie Howell's Craft. It's soft, it's light as air, and it's not bothering my wrists at all. Unexpected! Happy!

Has this ever happened to you? Have you ever had an unexpectedly happy experience with a yarn that you didn't think you were going to like, but turned out loving by the end of your project?

3 comments:

Laura said...

Kindred Spirits - I, too, did not really like knitting with cotton. Come in NASHUA Handknits Creative Focus Cotton dk. Wish I had a caseful of this yarn! Smooth, mercerized, silky touch, knits well, freeforms bullion stitches (ok ok, 11-ply, but the bullions LOOK terrific!)- so very pleasing and pleasant surprise!
Laura

Anonymous said...

The first time I touched superwash merino wool I was shocked. Generally, superwash wool is tolerable, wool that isn't superwash feels similar to steel wool and leaves my skin angry (we suspect it's the lanolin).

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for mentioning my Craft yarn! I actually hate knitting with cotton too, which is why we worked hard to make it a more enjoyable experience with our yarn by adding a little milk fiber. If people are interested, they can check it out at the SWTC site: www.soysilk.com.

Haooy Earth Day! xo, VH