Friday, January 18, 2008

Friday Five: Five books we’ll be carrying in the shop

We’ve been holding off on ordering books for the shop… not because we don’t love books, but because, honestly, we fear that a lot of people will come in, look at the books, and then go home and order them cheaper from Amazon.

But at the same time, there are books that we recommend to people all. The. Time. So why not just get a few copies of those books, eh? That’s what we did. We actually ordered six books, but as this is the “Friday Five” the sixth book shall remain a mystery until it arrives. <>

Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch
Our favorite book for sock knitters, new and old! This has everything from a basic tutorial to “hey, I have this yarn, what should I make” computations. I can’t tell you how many times we’ve recommended this book to someone who has come in and said “I’m ready to knit some socks, but I don’t know where to start”. At the same time, some of the patterns are so complicated that even *I* haven’t tried them yet.

More Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch
The follow-up to the first one. More stitch patterns, and also some great bind-off and cast-on techniques. Set up a little differently than the first one, but it’s definitely a must-add to my library.

Stitch ‘N Bitch: The Knitter’s Handbook by Debbie Stoller
Does this book really need an introduction?!

Stitch ‘N Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker by Debbie Stoller
We’ve heard nothing but good about this book, from both experienced crocheters, and people who’ve been itching to pick it up for the first time but worried they wouldn’t be able to understand it.

Knitting from the Top by Barbara G. Walker
There’s the expected (pullover, cardigan), about how to knit from the top down rather than the bottom up. But then there’s also the unexpected; hat, skirt, even a pair of pants. This book has been on my “buy me” list for a while, as I love pullovers but hate knitting from the bottom up (the usual fear of running out of yarn, combined with the “I don’t like short sweaters” thing).

No comments: